You’re not alone if you’ve noticed more mice or rats around your home. This time of year, rodents are looking for a warm place to nest as the weather gets colder. And your home may look like a pretty attractive place to them. Unfortunately, once they get in, they can be hard to get rid of once they get in. But there are some things you can do to try to keep them under control.
How to Know You Have Rats or Mice
Here are some signs that you may have a furry problem:
1. You see rodents running around your home.
2. You find rat or mouse droppings in your cupboards or on the floor.
3. Rodents have damaged your food storage areas.
4. You hear noises from inside your walls or your attic.
5. You notice a musty smell in your home that could be coming from a nest of rats or mice or their urine.
Preventing Rats and Mice from Entering Your Home
Rats and mice are more than just a nuisance. These pests can carry diseases, contaminate food, and cause damage to your home. The best way to deal with these pests is to prevent them from getting into your home in the first place. Here are some tips to help you keep rodents out:
1. Keep your home clean and clutter-free. Rats and mice are attracted to food and shelter, so a tidy home is less appealing.
2. Store food in sealed containers. Mice can squeeze through tiny spaces, so make sure all your food is stored in containers they can’t get into.
3. Repair any holes or cracks in your walls or foundation. These provide an easy way for rats to get into your home.
Use Natural Deterrents
Are you looking to get rid of rodents without using chemicals? Try using natural deterrents instead! Here are a few ways you can keep rats and mice away:
One way to deter mice or rats is by using strong-smelling essential oils. Citrus oils like lemon and orange are particularly effective at keeping away those rodents, as are clove oil and peppermint. Simply dab a few drops onto cotton balls and place them around your home in areas where rats or mice may be.
You can also make a rat repellent by mixing water and black or cayenne pepper. This solution works well for keeping ants and other pests out of your home, too! Just be sure to reapply it every few days for the best results.
Bait and Trap Them
If you have a mouse or rat problem in your home, you may wonder what the best way to get rid of them is. There are a few different methods that you can use, but bait and trap are often the most effective. Traps work by baiting a trap with something that the mice or rats are attracted to, such as food or water. Once the animal enters the trap, it will be unable to get out and will eventually die. One of the benefits of using bait and trap is that it is a non-toxic method of getting rid of mice and rats. This means that it is safe to use around children and pets. Additionally, bait and trap are often more effective than other methods, such as poison.
Call an Exterminator
If you have rats or mice in your home, you want to get rid of them as soon as possible, and though DYI methods can work ok, most of the time, you will want a more thorough job. But how do you find the best rat and mouse exterminator?
1. Ask your friends, family, and neighbors if they have any recommendations.
2. Check online reviews from trusted sources like the Better Business Bureau or Angie’s List.
3. Call a few different companies and ask about their methods, prices, and guarantees.
4. Make sure the company is licensed and insured.
5. Be sure to get everything in writing before you hire anyone.
In conclusion, there are many reasons why mice or rats enjoy hanging out in your Marina, CA, house, and none of them are acceptable! If you find yourself with a rodent problem, it is best to call a pest control expert such as Target Pest Control. They have the training and equipment to safely and effectively eliminate those relentless rodents.